by Melanie Droz Shawcroft
Judge this Book by the Cover
My mother wrote a book called “A Woman’s Guide to Buying a Car with Confidence and Street Smarts”, Don’t Let These High Heels Fool You.” The funny part is that guys ask me all the time about my mom’s book. In fact, as you can see from the photo, the valet at Le Grande Orange took time to read while waiting for me and my son to get in the car. The book is fun to read and besides the statistics of the buying power of women, it also gives women some extra confidence when negotiating that car deal. Personally, I like my mother’s hints on how to sell a car on your own and the dreaded finance department, which need not be so dreaded. Here are a few of my favorite parts of the book and my favorite parts of the Toyota Camry.
Five Things you can learn from my mother’s book:
1. Red is clearly my mom’s signature color. According to her book, a woman who buys a red car is a go-getter, confident and fun. That describes my mom to a “T”. Her book also allows women the power (also a trait of the color red) to grab hold of the car-buying experience from researching and negotiating to finance and service.
2. I’m certain that most women, before having a baby, do a ton of research. I know I did! We want the best stroller, car seat, pacifier and sleeping pills (for us, not the baby). So, why would buying a car be any different, especially since our most precious cargo will be riding with us? My mom’s #1 suggestion when buying a car is doing the research – go online to find out what you really need versus what you really want.
3. Growing up, my mom always said it’s what’s on the inside that matters. Her book not only stresses the importance of the interior of a car but the inside of a car dealership. You need to choose the right dealership based on location, the sales associates, the inventory and the overall vibe. It’s got to make you feel good; after all, you are making a big purchase.
4. The performance of a vehicle will make itself apparent during the test drive which is something my mom says is key in purchasing a vehicle. She provides tips for making the most of the test drive. Don’t be scared to put the pedal to the medal.
5. Options – this is what most women want. We don’t always want what’s on the showroom floor; we want to choose what we want, especially when purchasing a car, and my mom’s book let’s you know your options, just like the many options on the 2016 Toyota Camry XSE.
Five Things you will like about the 2016 Toyota Camry XSE
1. The color of our 2016 Toyota Camry was Ruby Flare Pearl. This dynamic red surely supports my mom’s claim that red signifies confidence and fun. We also had fun with the color-keyed rear spoiler and dual-chrome tipped exhaust which shout confidence on the road. I nearly took on a Viper when leaving La Grande Orange (where they sell her book) but took the high road since its color was Stryker Green, and my mom says in her book that someone who chooses a green car is not a trend-setter.
2. The Star Safety System makes the 2016 Toyota Camry a perfect family car. With LATCH-lower anchor and tether for children, I securely drove the town with my 5-year-old son. We visited the YMCA, the Playground Zone, Toys R Us, Peter Piper Pizza – all of his favorite places. With the anti-theft system with alarm, I felt comfortable leaving the Camry at any parking lot.
3. The interior of the Camry is just what I need as a woman, mom and teacher. I love the Eutune Premium Audio which allowed me to easily find my destination with the Navigation System and jam out on my way, changing the music on the 7-inch touch screen display. I was also able to use the dual-zone climate control to keep my son and I cool and the backup camera to keep the rest of the world safe.
4. You can definitely put the pedal to the medal with the 3.5 V6 DOHC 24V with Dual VVT4 engine in the Camry. My son always tells me, “Go faster, Mom. Go. Beat that car.” We, of course, abide the speed limit, but it was easy to get carried away with the Camry and the sport-tuned suspension. The performance definitely matches its fiery color.
5. With an MSRP of $31,370.00, the 2016 Camry has always been an affordable sedan in the Toyota lineup. In addition, the Camry has options, and women love options- clothes, shoes, makeup, CAR. The blind spot monitor, advanced technology package and the special Ruby Flare Pearl color are a few options offered. Here’s an option you do not want to pass up – read my mom’s book and go test drive the 2016 Toyota Camry.