Gotta Love a Jeep, Any Jeep
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 4 X 4
By: Cathy Droz
I love test driving Jeeps. From Wranglers to Gladiator Rubicon 4 X 4’s, it’s always fun. I’ve owned three Jeep products and will probably own another before I retire. However, this 2021 Jeep Rubicon Gladiator is meant for the most serious rock climbing, off roading, dune loving, snow obsessed, desert dwelling enthusiast.
Since I am a city girl, I decided to drive it to my friend Bill’s property, as he is a faithful Jeep owner and lives in a rural part of Phoenix. Of course, I wasn’t about to take it up the mountains near his backyard, so he took me to some uneven dirt with a rut or rock of significance. I know I didn’t give it a full-on rock-climbing adventure, but I’m well aware of its capabilities from other journalists and Jeep enthusiasts.
I figured I would ask a person who owns a Jeep, is a true gearhead, and tows his Jeep behind his motorhome to beautiful beaches, mountains and off the beaten path adventures with my BFF also in tow. Here is one of many tidbits he shared with me while we drove out to the desert.
This Gladiator has no problem handling just about any off-roading scenario, including the rocks and ruts in the desert. The low-end diesel torque makes it easy to steadily modulate the power while climbing a steep rock face, and technologies like Selec Speed, which is essentially off-road cruise control, mean we can keep a steady pace without constantly having to work the throttle. (Truthfully that was Greek to me.)
- The 2021 Jeep Gladiator mixes the functionality of a midsize pickup truck with the iconic styling and off-road capability of the legendary Jeep Wrangler.
- It has a 4-door body with a 5-foot bed
- The top is a 3-piece design with removable panels over the driver and passenger seats
- Gladiator offers all the benefits of a midsize pickup with its rear architecture, supporting excellent towing and payload capacities, especially with the Max Trailer Tow package available on Sport models
It was easy to drive on city streets and take to McDonalds, but the minute I tipped its 33-inch all-terrain tires into the sand I felt like a different person and started to act like I had a ranch and tons of cattle. It was like Sex and City meets Dallas on the road. Unfortunately getting in and out required a grab rail for me due to my short legs and no red high heels. It was well-equipped like all Jeeps , with luxuriousness and comfort thrown in. Come on… you gotta Love a Jeep !!!
For more details go to www.jeep.com or call 1-877-IAM-JEEP
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Numbers
- BASE PRICE: $43,875
- PRICE AS TESTED: $64,495
- VEHICLE LAYOUT: Front-engine, Rear/4WD, 5-pass, 4 door pick-up
- ENGINE: 3.0 liter turbocharged and inter-cooled DOHC 24-valve diesel V-6
- POWER: 260 hp
- TORQUE: 442 lb-ft
- TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic
- 0-60 MPH: 8.2 sec
- CURB WEIGHT: 4,700 lb (mfr)
- EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON: 21/27/24 mpg