WHAT DOES AMG STAND FOR?
2021 Mercedes Benz AMG GLE 53 Coupe #581
By: Cathy Droz – HER Certified
There is no denying that Mercedes Benz makes an awesome, luxurious, and high-tech vehicle. The GLE 53 Coupe AMG is no exception. You must drive this beauty to get the full experience. It is more than a car with storage like an SUV including a 64-color ambient light choices, has four doors and is considered a coupe. The paint job on this beauty is $1,080.00 alone. You can watch the imovie to get the full feel, but this test drive review will be to clear up some three letter words.
After reviewing all kinds of vehicles, the last 15 years, I thought I would go back to the basics. I was just asked the other day, “what is the big deal with AMG as part of a Mercedes Benz badging?” There were a few other questions I need to answer as well. Let’s do just wo this test drive.
Question: What does AMG mean?
- AMG GmbH, commonly known as AMG, is the high-performance subsidiary of Mercedes-Benz AG.
- AMG independently hires engineers and contracts with manufacturers to customize Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles. The company has its headquarters in Affalterbach, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
- AMG was originally an independent engineering firm specializing in performance improvements for Mercedes-Benz vehicles. DaimlerChrysler AG took a controlling interest in 1999, then became the sole owner of AMG in 2005.
- Mercedes-AMG GmbH is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Mercedes-Benz
- AMG models typically have more aggressive looks, a higher level of performance, better handling, better stability and more extensive use of carbon fiber than their regular Mercedes-Benz counterparts
- AMG models are typically the most expensive and highest-performing variant of each Mercedes-Benz class.
- AMG variants are usually badged with two numerals, as opposed to regular Mercedes-Benz vehicles, which have three (e.g. “C 63” as opposed to “C 320”). The numerals do not always indicate engine size, but are rather a tribute to earlier heritage cars, such as the 300 SEL 6.3 litre. For example, newer-model AMG V8s such as the C 63 have 4.0L V8s.
Question: How can you call a 4-door vehicle a coupe? A coupe is a two-door vehicle
- A coupé or coupe is a passenger car with a sloping or truncated rear roofline and two or three doors (although several four-door cars have also been marketed as coupés). Coupé was first applied to horse-drawn carriages for two passengers without rear-facing seats. The term coupé comes from the French translation of “cut”.
For more information and complete specs go to www.mbusa.com or www.hercertified.com
- MSRP: $76,500
- AS TESTED: $95,875